Saturday 13 January 2018

Diary of an Average Painter: Street Wizards, Thule Gelleschaft and Zombie Pirates

Painted these a while back but my 4-year-old assistant only based them yesterday.  (Hence why I always do bland plain sand bases; less to go wrong with a small child involved!)

Black Scorpion do brilliant pirates and wild west. I'd own more but they switched to plastic (boo hiss) robbing me of my enthusiasm to collect more. There's just something about metal that makes plastic seem so tacky and insubstantial...   ..I feel cheated paying equal or more for plastic replacements of metal mini lines...

Having just started to read her Tin Tin, it was a given Captain Haddock would make an appearance, along with a Rick O'Connell. The pulp minis come from Black Cat, Artizan and Copplestone - part of a huge backlog from years ago I am working through...

Some ghouls, irredeemable tainted by consuming human flesh...

Some urban "practitioners" of the arcane arts.  My wife recognized a Dresden and a Constantine...
I think a few might be EM4 (my source of bases and cheap 50c space fighters).

This German secret society will also do double duty alongside my West Wind SOTR models. I'm due to playtest my SoBH-meets-simple-d10-Infinity hybrid rules, as I've never done a good magic system to suit me yet.

As usual, I'm not showing off painting masterworks; just showing typical "tabletop" standard work. As I get older, I tend toward simpler paintjobs, with more bold highlighting to look effective from tabletop *(~2-4ft) range; whereas they don't look as good on close inspection.  I don't even make an effort with things you are unlikely to see, anymore (anything held up and viewed critically from below, for example, will reveal a fair bit of basecoat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment